Thursday, September 4, 2008

random, but what the heck...

UPDATE: remember the contest that i had a while back? jen got her cross and has had camera problems, but has posted pics of it in her home among some meaningful gifts from family and friends, i am so honored that she chose to put my little gift in such a special place in her home. thanks jen and again` yah for you, you won!!!



i have a question for anyone who may know...
our church has asked me to take a picture this sunday of all the deacons for our upcoming church directory. so i went today to see where we could place 40 grown men, i thought outside, on the porch... plus, this would help me and the lighting situation. but... they would rather place them on the steps in the sanctuary, where there will not be any natural lighting, i have to use my wide angle lens, a canon 17-85mm the f-stop only goes to 4.0. so, the question is what do i do??? i went today and shot a few just of the empty steps in the sanctuary, it looks alright, the shutter stayed open for a while, so i am thinking i will be fine if i have my tripod. am i on the right path or am i not thinking clear??? HELP!!!

also, i thought i'd share a "recipe" with you all...
my girlfriends and i would drink these when we were in college, i never thought i'd be making them for my children...

1 carnation instant breakfast milk chocolate
1 sugar free/ fat free hot chocolate
1/2 banana
8oz low fat milk
ice

they are so good!

11 comments:

Sarah Shalley said...

Hey. Do you have an external flash? I would say that you might be okay. Set up the tripod, turn the fstop all the way down. Open the shutter and fire away several times! Make sure all 40 men have their dang eyes open! Haha...that's a huge group!
Email me if you want.

Carrie said...

I'm no photographer...so no advice from me on that issue! I love the outside idea, but I know how "set in our ways" we can be! You go girl...push the outside issue! I dare you! I'm lovin the recipe! Although, I dropped my blender in a parking lot and it broke afew weeks ago! Don't ask!

5 Chicks and a Farmer said...

Ahhhhhh!!! The dreaded steps of the sanctuary photo. I try and avoid this at all costs. I used to go to this church occasionally, so I'm familiar with the lighting set up.

If you did it at a time where there was lots of light outside and coming through the windows.....that would help. I don't know if you have an external flash, but Sarah's right. That would help and so would a tripod.

If you took some outside in front of the church, I don't know how you would arrange the 40 men where you could see them evenly since there aren't very many steps. But, you could always try both locations and see which one works best.

I hope it goes well. Keep us posted!

Lyns

Jen said...

Sorry not much help here as far as that goes I agree with Sarah. Hey I finally got my prize up on my blog. Again sorry it took so long, I feel really bad it took that long.

CindyDianne said...

You can also play with adjusting the ISO up - to say 1800. Also, if you do have a flash, use it as a fill flash. You could do some reflecting with white poster board, if there is any light at all. If you have a reflector, the gold side might take away the bluish tint from florescent lights, if that is what they have in the sanctuary. Reflecting up on their faces might take away some of the shadow from their faces.

That's all I've got. Good luck!

spanki said...

oh goodness, you all are helping me so so much~ i totally forgot to change my ISO today! i am normally outdoors, and have it at 100-200, wow, there is so much to remember! thanks you guys!!!

also, do you think my 580 flash will be big enough? would i bounce it or shoot it straight on? in this case, would i use a diffuser? or do i need all i can get?

5 Chicks and a Farmer said...

Hey! I think your 580 flash is plenty big. I use fill flash with my 580 indoors and it works beautifully. I pull the white card out (not the clear bumpy one) and have my flash tilted at a 45 degree angle. I wouldn't bounce in this church since the ceilings are so high. And if you have the flash pointed directly at your fellas, it might wash them out a bit.

Get there early and practice with different settings. I would try and stay around 400 ISO if you could because I'm assuming that these people will want enlargements of this photo and if you were up higher, it might be too grainy.

Oh, and bring a step ladder just in case you need to elevate yourself. I always carry one with me at weddings for group shots. 40 people is a large group of folks. So, don't forget a ladder.

You will do great! Thanks for your sweet comment. And its never too late. You are right about that! Satan would have us right where he wants us if we believed that lie. We would be defeated and ineffective.

Have a terrific friday!
Lyns

Sarah Shalley said...

your flash is fine. lyns is totally on...don't increase your iso too much. bend at an angle...45ish or else their faces could look terrible. i put a diffuser on my camera all the time. the ladder will probably be a HUGE help!

email me if you want to.

Pony Girl said...

I don't know enought about SLR cameras to help with your lighting problem....hope it works out!
I used to drink a lot of that Instant Breakfast when I was in my 20's, too! ;) Love the chocholate malt one! I made smoothies and shakes with them, too!

CindyDianne said...

See, that is why we need real photographers. I wouldn't have thought about the prints being grainy from too high an ISO.

Adventure girl said...

I love instant breakfast!