we live a pretty good way from the interstate, but look at the cars at a stand still, trying to make it to family to enjoy this holiday...and then charlie brown came on and that was it... we were going to start a new tradition this year... our family... just the six of us...so off to the kitchen...
so my boys and i got in the kitchen at about 4:30 on wednesday and made the entire meal...
except for the turkey. we called my husband who had been hunting and told him to stop and get a ham on his way home, and low and behold he walked in with a fully cooked turkey!! it came from the gas station! and it was the best turkey i have ev-er had! and i am not a big fan of turkey...well, we woke up on thanksgiving and had our first turkey of the day.. another new tradition...
then we went out to our land and brought clippers and b.b. guns and made a fire and worked and played and had the best time, just us... one day we will be sitting at a table enjoying a thanksgiving meal and remembering the time we had our first thanksgiving on our land before we even had a house. it turned out better than i ever could have planned... our new thanksgiving tradition!!!


10 comments:
that is so sweet Spanki! I hear in your words that you are thankful to have your children making memories of their mom and dad and sib's together! And you get the pancake artistry award by far!
I sat in that traffic on Wednesday! I've only seen it like that one other time...during hurricane evacuation! Sounds like a great Thanksgiving! Simple and last minute usually turn out the best! Just think, some day you are going to have all of your grown kids home with their spouses and lots of grandbabies!!! You are going to have a house FULL!!!! Enjoy the simple and quiet now!
How awesome is that! The husband and I have been doing Thanksgiving by ourselves for many years. Mainly because our families are so far away and work schedules conflict with travel. I'm sure the memories from this year will bless you in years to come.
The pancake turkey was a hoot!
I am so glad you cooked that meal. That was so perfect for you, Heath, and the kids. Nothing like family!!!! But you are always welcome to our crazy house for turkey dinner.
Well it looks like you had a great Thanksgiving with your fam. I love the turkey pancakes!
okay....your turkey is adorable!
I'm proud of you, Spanki, for creating your own traditions. They are more meaningful that way!
I thought about you guys all last week! I am glad a new thanksgiving tradition has started. Thanks for posting the pictures of the necklaces, i hope you love them. oh and i hope you don't mind i added a post with a link to your blog and the post with the pictures in it. thanks for posting them-you are like my own little advertising company! And yes, girls night out is calling my name!! Maybe we could call it like a christmas present wrapping night and that could be our cover! Ohhh.....and that could be fun, maybe we should have a party and we could all bring our presents to wrap and cute wrapping stuff and wrap our gifts-that kind of sounds fun huh??? Oh and maybe we could do a little white elephant game or something.......hummmm we should put our thinking caps on about that!
New Thanksgiving traditions are a good thing. My hubby and I will be starting new ones next year when we move away from our families so I can attend law school! Yikes!
Spank, Dad and I are so proud of you starting a Thanksgiving tradition for you and your family. We know how important it is after having traditional family Thanksgiving dinners for just the 4of us for over 25 years. The memories of you girls waking up to the smells of turkey and dressing filling the house. We are blessed to see that you are carrying on the traditions that we felt would make memories for you girls and now our grandbabies. Couldn't be more proud!
Post a Comment