Tuesday, June 17, 2008

get the belt...


okay guys, i've got a little parenting dilemma. here's what happened...the other evening we took all the kids out to our land for our usual evening golf cart ride, but this night, my son decided to bring his nintendo DS game and thought it would be a better idea to consume himself into the land of video games rather than spend quality time with the rest of the family. (no, there's no "tone" in my voice). anyways... in the excitement of rushing towards the golf cart to claim the "best seat", he put his DS into his pocket. now, if you don't know, my son is a very tiny (don't tell his dad i'm saying that) 8 year old, who's pockets are no where near a size that could accommodate a DS. well, who knew, so off we went on our ride... oohing and ahhing over the great mow job done by the man with the new tractor!! and about an hour into the ride, i hear "oh, i can't find my DS" so we searched and back tracked until we could no longer see, and went out again today before a rain storm blew threw... well, during the rain storm... and still no DS. i am just so upset that my children don't respect their things any more than that! so, the question i have for you is... to punish or not to punish. is losing his DS enough of a "lesson learned" or should there be more! let me stick his nose in the corner, or put him in time out, or beat him with a belt...(did i say that out loud) oh, we don't beat... i mean gently spank, more like a little tap really... what do i do?? i have lost sleep over this loss and i can hear his snores coming from his room and it makes me... well, i shouldn't say... someone out there may be from cps!

6 comments:

Pony Girl said...

Hmm. I am not a parent yet, but I am a teacher. There are many approaches you could use here. I think that his disappointment over losing the DS is a logical consequence. However, sometimes children need guidance and support in making good decisions. Their ability to stop and think: "hmmm, this pocket is not very deep and I could potentially lose my DS" is just not functioning like it would in an adult (in fact, many adults don't function with that reasoning, lol!)
I wouldn't buy him another one right away, I think that sends the message that you will just replace the things he is careless with. I wouldn't punish him either. I would just say well, now you don't have a DS. Thats what happens when we don't take care of our things." Maybe shared a lesson that you learned about not taking care of something. Kids can relate to our experiences. Then maybe set a goal and have him work towards saving money or earning a new one? Good luck!

Dreams of a Country Girl said...

Jim Fay...Love and Logic...

"Oh how sad...feel free to get a new one when you save enough money, Sweetie."

ko said...

MY EVERYDAY PROBLEM! I think losing it is enough punishment. My son has gone through 2 PSP's lately because he leaves them on the floor an people step on them...the other son..has messed up 2 cell phones. DONT buy a NEW ONE. MAke him work to earn the $$$ and have him buy a new one. IT IS THE ONLY ANSWER. Pray about it! :)

Jen said...

I think that losing it is punishment enough. But, I would make him earn the money for the next one. It might teach him that it is hard work to get the things in life you want so you better take care of what you got. Best of luck.

Scrappy Girl said...

I agree with Pony Girl totally. If he gets another one, make him work for it...a $ at a time. Not just one job = DS.

Heidi said...

I agree with the others. Losing the DS will probably be punishment enough. I'm guessing he will seem much more concerned when he actually wants to play with it again, rather than when he's dog tired and just needs sleep, LOL. Absolutely make him work to earn a new one. It will give him a different perspective on what it really costs (work rather than the vague concept of money) to have nice things.